Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Glen

I wrote a blog way back in the dark ages of my blogging (so…in March!) about my favorite race tracks all over the world. I have to change/add/ addend that list. Well up towards the top of the list needs to be Watkins Glen. I had the opportunity to test there on Monday as preparation for the race there July 4th. What a track! After my first few laps, I came into the pits and I couldn’t adequately express how awesome, impressive and incredible the track is to drive. I had seen some footage of it before, but until you experience the G-loads, the cornering sight pictures, the whole setting, you have no idea how great it is! The track is set in upstate New York in the Finger Lake district. It sits about 10 minutes outside of the little town of Watkins Glen which in turn sits at the south end of Lake Seneca. One of the biggest draws to the area is the wineries around the lake and the locally produced wine. Also, the change of colors in the fall is supposed to be particularly impressive when mixed with the smell of fresh crushed grapes. There are some waterfalls within minutes of the track and amazing views everywhere you look. Couple that with one of the most challenging and enjoyable tracks I have ever driven, in Europe, Asia, Australasia, or North American and I think I may have found a new favorite track. I can’t wait to come back here and race in July.

1 comment :